Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DDos counter measures

From: B3r3n <B3r3n () argosnet com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:58:34 +0200

Gael,

Try some other tests using no A record for windowsupdate.com in your local zone, you will notice that the damages are even smaller doing that instead of localhost (127.0.0.1).
We also tested this solution to answer nothing to query as with an unresolved domain. But finally the solution answered localhost was kept because we hope a machine SYN flooding will behave badly enough so its user creates a call and so we could know the machine requires to be patched.

Thanks for raising the idea, some others might prefer this version.

Brgrds

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html