Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DCOM Worm released

From: Jordan Wiens <jwiens () nersp nerdc ufl edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:21:16 -0400 (EDT)

I can confirm that on our currently running network with IDS and flow
data.  TFTP is from the attacking source, not from any centralized
servers.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Incident Response Team

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Dennis Opacki wrote:

Never mind. SANS now indicates:

Infection sequence:

1. SOURCE sends packets to port 135 tcp with variation of dcom.c exploit
   to TARGET
2. this causes a remote shell on port 4444 at the TARGET
3. the SOURCE now sends the tftp get command to the TARGET, using the
   shell on port 4444,
4. the target will now connect to the tftp server at the SOURCE.