Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Subject prefix changing! READ THIS! SURVEY!!

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:15:07 -0400

Thus spake Daniele Muscetta (daniele () muscetta com) [22/08/03 10:59]:
ALL LIST MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO RESPOND AND MAKE A CHOICE
AS TO HOW THEY WANT THIS BASIC FUNCTION OF THE LIST TO
CONTINUE OPERATING.

[FD] would be fine.

If it has to be short for those who use text based MUA, at least leave
this short one. It should not be such a deal to pass from extra 18 chars
in the subject to just 5, should it?

I used a text-based MUA.  And I find that I get a few words of the subject,
after I see '[Full-Disclosure]'.

Personally, I /like/ subject tags, but short ones.  So something like [fd]
or [fud] would be fine with me.  But I think that the bulk of this decision
is up to Len and the other moderators.  We've had one vote already, and
since this seems to be a sore point for some folk, why not have another?

Regardless, it is much easier to filter based on subject line.

It is indeed easier.
One can of course also filter on headers, but in my situation - for
example - I don't filter at a server level (where i don't have access
myself) but at a client level.

As do, I'm sure, a large number of subscribers/posters here.  I filter at a
client level, yet I *never* filter based on subject.  Too risky of hitting a
false positive.  It's much easier to filter based on Sender: or List-Id: or
whatever ezmlm uses, and gives me a little more peace-of-mind.

And often I access my mail in IMAP from a DIFFERENT client (webmail,
anyone?)... and the subject line is very useful in SWIMMING through the
tons of UNFILTERED messages of this one an other lists, and getting to
those OTHER messages quicker....

Exactly why subject line tags are important.  I have two places where I read
my mail.  One is filtered, the other can *not* be filtered.  So subject
lines are *extremely* handy in the latter case, but I couldn't care less in
the former.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html