Full Disclosure mailing list archives

AW: Filtering sobig with postfix

From: vogt () hansenet com
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:37:06 +0200

/see attached file for details/     REJECT

ever since, I've not had a single one coming through.

The reason this one works for the worm writers is because
it's standard English
usage - as a result, it's *very* prone to false positives.
And you give no indication
of *why* the file was rejected, so the sender has no idea
that if he re-sends but
says "Hey check out the file for the long version" instead it
will get through.

It ain't perfect, but it works. I'll probably remove it once
this storm has blown over. I wanted to share it because it is
easy to implement and works like charm.

The improved version:

/see attached file for details/ 554 Refusing to accept your virus e-mail

should solve the problem that the sender has no idea why his
mail was rejected.

Tom Vogt

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html