Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Break-in discovery and forensics tools

From: "Hotmail" <se_cur_ity () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:18:58 -0700

 I realize the importance of after incident forensics... What I dont
understand is logs used in a court for prosecution. Logs are inheritly not
preservable or physical evidence, it is tamperable from the time the
external data hits a MAC, if that were the case basicly I could take my logs
and edit any damn originating ip i choose, send thosse logs to law
enforcement, and have an innocent person convicted. Logs are nice.. but IMHO
defeatable in court.

wood