Full Disclosure mailing list archives

AW: Re: MS-02-052 + blackholing MS

From: vogt () hansenet com (vogt () hansenet com)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:45:40 +0200

I had the no-MS approach a few years ago, but when the bottom
fell out of the economy, telling people "no speaka NT" in an interview
didn't earn me many points.

Maybe you went to the wrong interviews? My own "security OR windos, choose
one" approach actually helped me secure the current job.

While WinDOS is a pain in the butt to lock down, it can be
done, whether with 3rd-party tools or, increasingly, with stuff that
actually ships with it.

Absolutely. The main problem with windos seems to be that M$ is selling
people on the idea that you can be an NT admin in 2 weeks, and can run a
server without actually knowing what you're doing.
The few NT admins I met who knew their stuff were good, and I'm fairly sure
their systems were as stable and secure as the average Unix system out
there, maybe even more so. The problem are the million MSCEs who're driving
20-ton-trucks on the Information Superhighway and barely know what all the
funny pedals and switches are for.

Dismissing a platform outright is not an option for me, and
it's not an option for most people either.

It should be, though. Unless you have one of the rare QUALIFIED windos
admins in your company, you shouldn't believe the hype and not think your
PFY can run the server farm.