Full Disclosure mailing list archives

OT: M$ Proxy Server

From: memetic-engineer () australia edu (memetic-engineer () australia edu)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:27:52 -0800

Yew r0t3:

So my brother, a just-convert from XP to Debian, is attending
a boarding school here in Germany which is apparently a so-called
Micro$oft Project School, meaning that it's all Micro$oft (it even
smells there). Now Micro$oft apparently found out that my brother >has
installed Linux and that many of his friends are getting interested,
so they ordered the system administrators to install Proxy Server 2.0,
a discontinued product! Proxy Server 2.0 requires a client program
that is only available on Windoze, naturally. Apparently they couldn't
use ISA because despite sporting more colours and a fancier name, it
also allows heterogeneous clients (what's an "acceleration server"
anyway but a big cheat with words? (yes, i know it's a cache)).

Great, isn't it?

My question for you: is there a client for M$ Proxy Server for *NIX,
and is it true that *NIX will be usable behing an ISA Server, provided
that Samba actually attaches to the domain?

I feel helpful today

The windows network uses M$ Windows Proxy Svr 2 as an HTTP gateway.
Clients use the MS Windosock Proxy Client to authenticate with
Proxy server.
A mozilla(.org) based client can be configured like so :

edit-preferences-advanced-proxies
Then put in your proxy information

For other network services like NFS, SSH, FTP, Etc.
You SHOULD be able to use a socks app like dante
http://www.inet.no/dante/

--

"it is the mark of an educated mind
to be able to entertain a thought