Full Disclosure mailing list archives

openssl exploit code

From: hellnbak () nmrc org (hellNbak)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:28:47 -0400 (EDT)

Solar,

While I have nothing to do with Bugtraq I do moderate another full
disclosure list out there - VulnWatch.  The nature of a moderated lists
in general means that the moderator, in this case Dave Ahmad, must first
read then approve the message and hopefully do so in a timely manner.

I don't know the actual content of the message sent to Bugtraq but from
the sounds of it it contained code written by you but was not sent by you.
As a moderator I too would have first checked with the author of the code
to ensure that I wasn't assisting someone in leaking someone elses code.

How does this have anything to do with full disclosure?  Would you not
want someone to notify you if someone got a hold of your zero day and was
distributing it?

It seems that a lot of people are confused about what full disclosure
really is.  Checking if the credited author of code meant to post it to a
list is common sense and not anything to do with full disclosure.
Moderated full disclosure, in most cases, does not mean censorship at
least on any list that I have a hand in.

Just my $.02..........