Full Disclosure mailing list archives

ALERT ALERT plaintext passwords in linux ALERT ALERT

From: fd () rshell org (Guy Cohen)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:46:37 +0300

$grep "hushmail \"blackhats\" proves ones again they'er 31337 hackers" \
  /proc/kcore
Binary file /proc/kcore matches

aren't you tired? I know I am.

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:22:15AM -0700, ppan () hushmail com wrote:

oops, someone edited my mail
.-(     <-- oneeyed pirate
the fix is of course: rm -rf /proc/kcore

Problem:  Linux stores your passwords in plaintext
         See proof of concept exploit below

Fix:      rm -rf /dev/kmem

Demonstration:

---flic---
bash$ ./passcheck.sh secret
checkpass v1.5
Proves that kmem leakes your passwords
Needs to be run as root
By etah^etihw aka peter-pan

Checking for password 'secret'
Binary file /proc/kcore matches
-flac-

OMG!!!! it matches!!!
Please don't tell anyone my root password because
I cant change it because i deleted the passwd program
because i thougt that it is vulnerable but I
think it was not vulnerable but i cant get it because
I have to port undel.exe to lunix first.

Here is the 0-DAY exploit!
Please do not abuse!!!

---click---
#!/bin/bash

# POC exploit
# shows kmem is a fscking leaker!

echo "checkpass v1.5";
echo "proves that kmem leakes your passwords";
echo "needs to be run as root";
echo "by etah^etihw";
echo "             ";

echo "checking for password '$1'";
grep $1 /proc/kcore
---clack---

(do not forget to make 'chmod +x passcheck.sh'!!)

Greets:
zisss (you are the man bro!!)
drater (mad resopectz to yu0!!)
verb (wuz up? your a.t. owns me ass!!)