Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Compaq mount patch broken

From: Weimer () CERT Uni-Stuttgart DE (Florian Weimer)
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:44:47 +0200

psz () maths usyd edu au (Paul Szabo) writes:

I have reported this to Compaq (but expect no speedy resolution). I am
puzzled: why patch /sbin/mount or /usr/bin/csh if they are not setuid?

Paul confirmed in private email that /sbin/mount is statically linked.
I guess that it contains a copy of the RPC code for NFS mounts.
xdr_array() is actually used for interaction with rpc.mountd, so a new
/sbin/mount binary was needed to remove a potential threat.

(I haven't got access to a Tru64 system, so this is pure, albeit
plausible speculation.)

--
Florian Weimer                    Weimer () CERT Uni-Stuttgart DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/