Full Disclosure mailing list archives

XP security hole uplddrvinfo.htm

From: gobbles () hush com (gobbles () hush com)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:05:27 -0700

Green is tasty color
even more tasty
administrator on phyve.com

Did you eat paint chips as a child?
-----Original Message-----
From: gobbles () hush com [mailto:gobbles () hush com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 4:23 PM
To: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Cc: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] XP security hole uplddrvinfo.htm

fuck you 2.

mindless consultant rely on charletan look dumb fuck
gibson suck nothing but shit covered dick
Paul Tinsley get gibson left over
must taste good
here is invoice
i look smart
hire again
mom is proud

You people amaze me.... you are too busy proving that each oth
r suck to
just get the word out on exploits.  You should note that I nev
r claimed
who discovered it, I honestly don't care.  I know personally I

would
prefer if political agendas or conspiracy theories stay off th
list.
Point is, systems are insecure, get the word out.  Pat on the
ack for
whoever did discover it...

So revised version of original message:
I haven't seen much if any coverage of a rather nasty exploit
n Windows
XP that was discovered by what I believe was a human on earth.

If you
would like to keep your XP boxes from being venerable to this
xploit
which happens to delete whatever a properly formed link reques
s, delete
%windir%\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System\DFS\uplddrvinfo.htm

Thank you to Thor for posting more accurate information in rep
y to my
message....
Shane Hird discovered it.
You can see his post here:

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/bugtraq/2002/08/msg00224.
tml

And you can try a proof-of-concept here:

http://jscript.dk/2002/8/sec/xphelpdelete.html

And you can see all of the 20 publicly known unpatched vulnera
ilities
in Internet Explorer here:

http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/