Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Administrivia - Regarding bulk mail

From: gobbles () hush com
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:50:05 -0700

lol

On On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 04:49:50 -0700 John Cartwright <johnc () grok org uk> wrote:
Hi

The recent deluge of spam deserves some discussion, I believe.

Firstly, to clarify, this bulk mail is *not* from gobbles () hushmail com.
The PGP signature is invalid, and the mail is spoofed. This appears
be an attempt to cause a DoS to the mailing list administration
at the
price of safeguarding the list from this traffic.

Since filtering this mail, we have been subjected to an SMTP-based
flood,
with peak rates of > 200 mails/minute hitting our list. We have
observed
over 60 different source addresses in use during this time and I
have
submitted the offending IPs to the ORDB.

Please be patient whilst we work to resolve this issue, and accept
the
fact that for an open list of this nature, some client-side filtering
is
inevitable.

Cheers
- John