Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Counseling not to use Windows (was Re: Anonymous surfing my ass\!)

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (David F. Skoll)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:14:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Roland Postle wrote:

I should mention that I'm only referring to Windows NT here, Windows 9x /is/
one monumental design flaw and not even worth talking about.

It's hardly a 'fundamental design flaw' if it can be configured differently.

Well, OK.  But let's say you tighten up security on NT.  Then you
discover that all kinds of third-party (and Microsoft, for that
matter) software doesn't work any more.

Many default unix installations will leave all a user's newly created files
with world read access.

That's true.  World-read access is slightly less of a problem than
world-execute access.  And some Linux distros (e.g. Mandrake) offer
"security levels" which (among other things) let you change the default
umask to 077.

And I bet the vast majority of novice computer users
(the ones most at risk) would find it easier to change their file
permissions on a Windows machine than a unix machine.

Well, the vast majority of novice computer users aren't using UNIX
(unless you count Mac OS X).

The fact that 99% of Windows users are clueless is no reflection on Windows'
actual security.

But Microsoft touts "ease of use" which lulls people into believing that
you don't need as much skill to use or secure Windows as UNIX.  And that's
irresponsible.

--
David.