Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Shiver me timbers.

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Timothy J.Miller)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:17:43 -0500

On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 12:42 PM, aliver () xexil com wrote:

      However, if we consider a problem that involves someone being able
to easily perpetrate a malicious action against the car owner due to a
manufacturer defect, then it's apt. See how that works? Now, trucking
right along, if someone decides to make a hobby or a career out of
finding
these specific types of defects, they don't really have any obligation
report them for free to anyone. They did the work to find the bug, they
_will_ decide what's morally right to do afterwards regardless of how
many
"standards" documents are written by people who think they have superior
ethics. If that means they want to withhold the information for what
they
consider to be a better purpose, then it's not only their choice, but
they
also might be morally justified to do so. It all depends on the
circumstances.

Okay, I'll concede the bad analogy, and the misapplied substitution of
your own.  My bad, I'll pay more attention next time.

I think, at this point, I see the common ground we share.  I agree that
whether to disclose a new vulnerability is ultimately the decision of
the discoverer.  I do not agree that an ultimately convincing case can
be made where non-disclosure is morally preferable to disclosure.  I do
not, of course, have the ethical or legal authority to enforce my
opinion on others.

-- Cerebus