Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Anyone buy this?

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Timothy J.Miller)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:40:36 -0500

On Wednesday, August 14, 2002, at 06:54 PM, Fenris The Wolf wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
news/IARWSV.asp

I will say I'm not surprised.  What else should be expected?

The identity of the attacker could easily be determined.  To exploit the
vulnerability, the attacker would require a valid SSL digital
certificate,
issued by a trusted Certificate Authority. However, most commercial
Certificate Authorities require substantial proof of identity before
issuing
such a certificate,

Yeah, just like Verisign confirmed the spoofer who got new signing certs
issued to him in Microsoft's name.

The user would always have the ability to determine the truth.

While this is certainly technically true, it's not *practically* true.
The average user knows fsck-all about X.509 and certificate chaining,
much less how to use Microsoft's certificate display dialog.

       Clearly, it would have been best if a balanced assessment of the
issue and its risk had been available from the start.

Never mind that FAILING TO VERIFY BASIC CONSTRAINTS is SUCH A FREAKING
STUPID ERROR that it SHOULD NEVER HAVE EVER FSCKING HAPPENED IN THE
FIRST GODDAMN PLACE... *ahem*  Excuse me, sometimes I just get riled.

Obviously "balanced assessment" has a meaning I wasn't aware of.  From
the context it apparently means "brought to light in a way that didn't
make us look like morons."

Trusted Computing at work.

-- Cerebus