Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: AOL Instant Messenger - Away Setting and Snoopers

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Matthew Murphy)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 02:09:23 -0500

i fail to see the importance of this.  the hide window option is primarily
for preventing full screen applications (particularly games) from crashing
or switching to the desktop when another user messages you.  i highly doubt
the hide window option is intended for any security purposes.  if you're
conserned with people viewing your screen, lock it with a screensaver or
nt/2k/xp "lock" feature.

"Hide window" stops people from viewing your windows.  With this,
somebody *could* view your window.  It really is a matter of information
disclosure -- do I need to see three pages of chat to tell me the relevance
of 2 messages while I'm away?  Not likely...