IDS mailing list archives

Re: About detecting bots....

From: Mac Rosel <mroz () ksu edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:07:29 -0600

Have you tried simple nmap scans? A syn and version detection may reveal
connections on uncommon ports typical of bots. Or, there are custom
script scans design specifically for this purpose. Like,
smtp-open-relay.

Mac

Quoting Raffael Marty <rmarty () splunk com>:

In order to cut down your time of going through textual logs, I
recommend using some kind of visualization to analyze the log data
that you capture. There are a number of people, especially ones part
of the Honeynet Alliance that have done bot net visualization work. I
am working with some of them to come up with some better methods
also.

To get some ideas, visit SecViz: http://secviz.org

   Raffael

--