IDS mailing list archives

Re: Checkpoints Smartdefense as an IPS

From: Tommy May <tommymay () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:59:30 +0000 (UTC)

I haven't dealt with SmartDefense for a long time - but when I did, the advantages was that there was no political
battle to fight for getting another device to go inline of traffic - as folks are already accustomed to having the
firewall there inspecting traffic, to some degree.

The disadvantages (from my perspective only at the time) was that the individual tuning parameters were not extremely
granular... so when there were false positives triggered for blocking, it was 'an all or nothing' remediation required
to address the issue - i.e. turn the signature off alltogether.

So - in a practical sense, it comes down to requirements.  If it is simply to address an 'audit or compliance
checkmark' requirement, then something like SmartDefense was fantastic for an enterprise who already had deployed
Checkpoint as a firewall and was well used to administering and maintaining the solution.  However, to achieve real
detective vigilance I would recommend augmenting the solution with passive IDS at key monitoring points.  In my
experience, you will rarely get a specific directive from anyone in the enterprise that will clarify this for you - you
sort of have to get a gut feel.

Sorry for the 'gray' answer, but thats simply my opinion based on what I have seen.  :)

(Also, please note that I havent dealt with Checkpoint now in several years, so there may have been significant
advancements made to SmartDefenses tunability since then)

Hope this helps...

Tommy