IDS mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS 11.1 - ".. deploying a wireless IDS/IPS..". Kismet+Snort?

From: Jeremy Bennett <jeremyfb () mac com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:00:47 -0700

Gary,

I'm sorry if my statements seemed to self-contradict. I'm a member of the
Wireless SIG reporting to the PCI DSS. We've had numerous discussions on
this topic and have been working to provide better guidance on all of this.

So, let me put this another way. You must assert that there are no rogue APs
connected to your CDE. By definition a rogue device is unauthorized and out
of your control. Therefore you can't use networking technologies like
firewalls to prevent someone from physically connecting a rogue device to
your network. The only way to be certain that there are no rogue devices
connected to your CDE is to scan for them. Hence 11.1 applies whether you
have a wireless network or not.

Is that more clear?

-J

On 4/24/09 11:48 AM, "Gary Everekyan" <Gary.Everekyan () consumerinfo com>