IDS mailing list archives

Re: Javascript long string detection

From: "Ravi Chunduru" <ravi.is.chunduru () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:56:38 -0700

This seems fine to me.  do you know the vulnerable version of Safari browser?

Thanks
Ravi

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Srinivasa Addepalli <srao () intoto com> wrote:
Hi Ravi,

You are right that many IDS/IPS systems don't have java script analyzers.
Even the systems that have these analyzers will also have problems in
detecting these kinds of attacks.

One simple way is to create a signature which checks version string in
User-Agent field  and javascript in response html data. If user agent
version indicates vulnerable software edition and javascript is seen, this
signature flags the administrator. Since javascript is not analyzed, there
could be false positives; but at the minimum, it provides logs and alerts to
administrator to take further action.

Srini