IDS mailing list archives

Re: SSL - Man-in-the-Middle filtering

From: "David Williams" <dwilliamsd () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:44:44 -0500

I know this is a bit late, but I recently saw a webcast on this
specific subject from a new player called Netronome Systems.  They
claim to work with any IDS/IPS on the market, and to do it
transparently (not sure what that means).  More interestingly, they're
claiming performance speeds at over a gigabit per second, doing it on
the x86 architecture still (I've seen BlueCoat's and Palo Alto's
pricing.  I haven't gotten pricing from Netronome, but I'm hoping it's
cheaper than theres).  I'd rather not have a two box solution, but
when I looked at some of the IPS players who claim to be able to do
the SSL decryption in a single box, they all say that it takes their
performance to their knees.   The sales engineer I talked to mentioned
that I could bundle snort onto their appliance if I really wanted a
single box solution, but I'm not using snort for IPS.  Might be
interested in it for IDS though.

If they ever send me an eval unit, I'll post my results here.

-dave

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 2:42 PM, Joseph Jenkins