IDS mailing list archives

Re: Worm generating network attack traffic?

From: Greg Shipley <gshipley () neohapsis com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:11:15 -0600

I think it is important to note that:

(Traffic generated by vulnerability scanners) != (attack traffic)

While vulnerability assessment (VA) scanners can/will generate alerts
I would advise against using them if you want to do any kind of real
analysis.  In fact, you probably don't want an IDS that is going to
mistake something like a service probe / banner grab (which is what
many VA checks actually are) with an actual attack.  Any IDS that does
is going to be *highly* false positive prone...

FWIW, I have found tools such as Core Impact, Metasploit, and Canvas
to be far better options for testing IDS/IPS signature engines.

Just my .02,

-Greg