IDS mailing list archives

Re: Sessions Resource Exhaustion

From: "Ravi Chunduru" <ravi.is.chunduru () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:00:37 -0700

thank you all for responding. it was really helpful.

even with 500 packets/sec on UDP:500  (with different source ip
addresses),  i could exhaust all states in my SME firewall.  imagine
that this firewall is kept in real network.    by using fraction of
bandwidth about 256kbps, one can shut this network for any outside
communication.        any security device is expected to increase
network protection, but not take it away.

I had some take aways from this discussion. Select security device that provides

* setting idle timeouts based on port number (service).  for UDP:500,
it can be as low as 20 seconds.

* settings to limit number of states for UDP traffic.

* some kind of random drop or session rate policing once session flood
condition is detected.

* higher number of states for a given price point.

thank you again
Ravi