IDS mailing list archives

Re: Sessions Resource Exhaustion

From: H D Moore <sflist () digitaloffense net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:02:42 -0500

This is called marketing :-) If you want to support DoS attacks consisting
of more 10,000 sessions, you must upgrade to a more expensive box. Even
the very high-end IPS products start hitting session limits after 1-2
million concurrent sessions[1].

Session limits are common across a wide range of routers, firewalls, and
inline security devices. Most devices based on BSD/ipf have a hard limit
in terms of number of sessions. IIRC, the Linux iptables code will dump
old sessions in favor of new (when using NAT), so there is no stoppage,
but connections can get dropped.

These devices tend to be easy to DoS, but in most cases,a single service
behind the device stops accepting connections before the device's own
state table is filled.

If you can fill the state table using just SYN packets (without doing a
full session setup), then the device in question is just crap :-)

-HD

1. <spam>My company's product (the BPS-1000) tests up to 5,000,000
concurrent application sessions at once. In the lab, we see very few
products that can handle more than 500,000. Our new 10G product
(BPS-10000) can push 7,500,000 concurrent sessions.</spam>