IDS mailing list archives

IPS in the Enterprise UTM Firewall testing results

From: jms () opus1 com
Date: 14 Nov 2007 15:28:18 -0000

After months and months and months in the lab, a huge UTM test I did for Network World is now available (for free,
folks, for free) on their web site.  I apologize in advance if you have to click 800 times to read the whole 19,000
words, but here goes:

Main story starting point:
http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2007/111207-utm-firewall-test.html

Just the discussion of IPS in the UTM firewall/enterprise space:
http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2007/111207-utm-firewall-test-ips.html

Chart on catch rates based on Mu-4000 testing:
http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2007/111207ips.html

If you're not sure that enterprise should even be running IPS in their firewalls, you can click on the link below for a
header page which has further links with some discussion on the pros and cons of that issue:
http://www.networkworld.com/buyersguides/guide.php?cat=865480

Enjoy or not, as you see fit.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.