IDS mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Solaris 10 x86 HIDS

From: "Nomellames nunca" <nomesigas () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:45:01 -0400

On 3/15/07, tim_holman () hotmail com <tim_holman () hotmail com> wrote:
Not quite a hids but does Tripwire count?  They have Freeware agents for solaris?
Have you looked at a network IPS to protect your whole web tier rather than host based solutions?

HIDS are different than NIDS. NIDS cannot defend against insider
attacks, for example. I am beginning to grow tired of "experts"
suggesting NIDS when HIDS have a different functionality.

And yes, Samhain, Osiris and Tripwire are HIDSs, but the use a policy
based approach (mostly integrity verification of files). That does not
disqualify them as HIDS.

Best,

-J

Rgds

Tim
Sent from my BlackBerry(r) wireless device