IDS mailing list archives

Re: Threats to IDS/IPS deployments

From: thaywood () karalon com
Date: 31 May 2007 14:34:06 -0000

Leea,

Your post raises an interesting topic, how often do users perform an assessment of their key security defenses to prove
that they perform operationally as described in the marketing materials, my bet is not that often in reality.

I have worked in the security market space for the last 15 years and during that time have seen many end users want to
but not really know how to test their security defenses. You spend a lot of money on these systems, then many times
users put their faith that the product is working as advertised without realy being able to prove it or having the
necessary tools to help.

One regular post to this list is "can I use a vulnerability scanner to test my IDS/IPS", the answer is generally no as
they are not designed for that purpose.

There are a number of things that you should really look at when testing an IDS or IPS system and one of the most
important things is just how useable is it?

If the worst happens and some kind of attack is picked up does the management console become unusable due to the scale
and volume of alerts? (I've seen many deployments where a slight burst in activity can make the management system
become a monster and un useable)

How easy is it to spot if a sensor has gone off line? (I've seen many occasions when acording to the management console
the sensor is working fine and active but in reality somehow it has "gone to sleep" and is not picking up anything.

There are a number of resources out there to help you

http://www.karalon.com/products.htm

The Tolly Group also published a whitepaper on IPS testing and benchmarking you may find intresting.

http://www.tolly.com/ts/2006/TollyEdge/IPS-Wired/TollyWP206115TollyEdgeIPS-Wired-May2006.pdf

Regards
Tony

Tony Haywood
CTO
www.karalon.com
Audit, Test, Prove & Validate

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.