IDS mailing list archives

WP: Tactics for avoiding failure in large SEM implementations

From: nick.hutton () 360is com
Date: 26 Feb 2007 17:29:59 -0000

Over the last 18 months I've been called upon several times to "put right" security projects that have gone awry in the
SEM/SIEM area. Generally the security department has several IDS/IPS systems feeding into a large Security Event
Correlation and Management system in an attempt to "make some sense of the damn IDS" and change some of those console
screens from "always on red".

I've gathered together all the lessons learned in the process of rescuing these projects, and present them in a short
paper. I/we don't sell SEM/SIEM products so you will find the text pretty balanced, I've found shortcomings with every
one of the 5-or-so vendors in this area. If it saves even 1 more failed project or wasted purchase then it will have
been worth it. For those of you already part-way through an implentation of such a project, theres still some hope in
there for you :-)

http://www.360is.com/downloads/360is-prep-sem.pdf

Nick

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.