IDS mailing list archives

RE: ICSA Labs Network IPS Testing

From: "Walsh, John (Jack)" <jwalsh () icsalabs com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:03:08 -0500

Rahul:

It's true that the baseline set of criteria does focus on remotely
exploitable, server-side vulnerabilities found in enterprise software.
What is less well known is that there is an optional criteria module
focused entirely on coverage protection for client-side vulnerabilities
(also in enterprise software).  As with the evolving server-side set of
vulnerabilities, this client-side set is published online as well.  You
can find it here:

http://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/docs/html/communities/nips/criteria/Vulnera
bilitySet_ClientSide_070703.xls

So, when we do the research twice a year (approximately) to determine
the vulnerability set - it's done for both the server-side set required
by the baseline set of criteria as well as for the optional client-side
set.

You probably noticed that no one has been tested successfully against
this optional module.  Enterprise end users may have to demand that
products be tested for client-side vulnerability coverage protection (if
they are interested in ensuring proper protection for attacks targeting
both sets) before developers will pursue such testing.  I can and have
recommended it, but it really does take a push from end users.

As I said before, if folks have questions about ICSA Labs Network IPS
testing, please feel free to get in touch.

Take care,
Jack Walsh
Technology Programs Manager,
Intrusion Detection & Prevention