IDS mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: Re: HTTP traffic

From: "Abhishek Bhuyan" <abhuyan () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:56:03 +0530

Just some pointers based on the question which *was* asked on which
abhicc did agree that there are false positive scenarios.
What I presume from most is that there are no cases of false positive
at all. My personal experience after working in host-based IPS company
is that I have come across many false positive scenario. May be I'm a
step behind from all you, or the functionality is kind of limited.
HTTP is simple text based protocol for which we have pre defined RFC
also. I think that would give the best understanding of the protocol
itself.

Coming to the client side, for which I think focus changes to
Host-based IDS/IPS.
Hirosh - Very true. A proper product *should* do --
Personally I'm yet to see, or am not aware of any product, who does
have kind of javascript parsers or decode all file format structures
which will help to write vulnerability specific rules to tackle some
vulnerabilities. For evasions, though bit off-topic, it would be
interesting to see how many stop gzip+chunked evasions :)

abhicc - Yes, the only reason being, tackling client-side is kind of
pain. Also the kind of functionality which we get, also not forgetting
the performance it might have. I'm not claiming anything or want to
win the rat-race. What kind of result you want to know? I cannot share
with you the benchmark or test setup details, but could certainly give
you many examples. Again, that would be disclosing something which
should not be :)
Being creative I meant, not just looking for patterns from the
exploit, something which will make more sense rather than just looking
for say "AAA" for specific overflow kinda. It's debatable and will
depend on the exploit/vulnerability.

-Abhishek