IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS 4215, right place for a sniffing interface (DMZ or LAN)

From: Gary Halleen <ghalleen () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:09:40 -0700

Zillah,

The first thing you need to do is upgrade your sensor to version 5.1 or 6.0.
You have 4.1 software, which is no longer supported.  If you have
maintenance on your sensor, the upgrade is no charge.  If you do not have
maintenance (called Services for IPS), then you'll need to take care of that
first.

The 4215 sensor has only two interfaces, and you need one for command and
control.  This is the interface that you'll assign an IP address to and use
for management purposes.

The other interface is Fast Ethernet (10/100), even though it doesn't look
like it to you from the show version results.

You can use this in inline mode (IPS mode) by enabling multiple VLAN
interfaces on the sniffing interface.  With IPS 5.1 or higher, you can
create VLAN groups, where traffic that arrives on one VLAN is automatically
mapped to a different VLAN.

More information is available at:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps4077/products_configuration
_guide_chapter09186a008055df7d.html#wp1047718

Gary