IDS mailing list archives

Re: Re: Is this for real?

From: phil.johnson () mdp com
Date: 8 Apr 2007 01:03:13 -0000

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you - holiday, etc.

You asked for the URI of the link to the so-called "IIS" (intruder identification system) that was asked about earlier.
 This is that link:

http://www.dontsteal.net

The name of this system is dontstealmywifi.  I tried it, it appears to produce a searchable database of  all
communication residing in any accessed accounts, whether the authentication to the network occurs via SSL or not.  Note
the words *all* and *residing* in that sentence.  A database is produced that can be used for "intruder identification".

For example, if someone used a rainbow table to get into your dummy but WPA'ed router, and if you had this system set
up, and if the intruder logged to certain accounts (say yahoo mail, for instance), *every* stored message is downloaded
and a database created, for identification purposes.  Same thing with other kinds of connections.

This is the first I have heard of "intruder identification".

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.