IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS Datasets

From: SanjayR <sanjayr () intoto com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:55:02 +0530

Hi Patrick:
you must be knowing that any learning algorithm is as good as the data presented to it for training. This implies that one should have a very good understanding of data to be used with any learning algo. From your mail, it appears that you have very little knowledge (or not at all) of data used (created by) network devices. Therefore, i advise you to first get yourself familiar with network and related tools (Tcpdump is one of them) and then start working on with your proposal of combining AI and IDS. For that, you would like to look at work done at Columbia Univ, UC davic, Purdue, Gtech etc. Other option is to have someone in your group who is familiar with IDS domain.

regards
-Sanjay