IDS mailing list archives

RE: Prelude/OSSIM/OpenSIMS/OSSEC

From: "Warner Moore" <wmoore () 2co com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 08:41:43 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat [mailto:securityfocus.20.patgourmet () spamgourmet com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 12:37 PM
To: focus-ids () securityfocus com
Subject: Prelude/OSSIM/OpenSIMS/OSSEC

<snip>
1- I want to begin by implementing an integrity checker. I am looking
at Samhain and Osiris. Samhain seems better, but since it does not
support Windows, I will probably use Osiris. Maybe OSSEC also would
do the job ?

        I am big on AIDE lately.  If you want to spend money, Tripwire.  Our
solution was to hack out a centralized solution around AIDE.  There's some
neat hacks out there like ViperDB for smaller solutions.

2- I want to run Nagios on my servers for monitoring

        Good.

3- I want to setup my UNIX and Windows servers with remote logging.
For the UNIX/Linux servers, I would do remote syslogging to a syslog
server such as Syslog-ng or Rsyslog. For the Windows servers, I would
also setup a remote logging to that same syslog server, with a client
tool such as Winsyslog.

        Event to syslog is kind of cool.  It's irritating to audit Windows
event logs in a flat form, definitely clutters stuff up.  I have yet to see
an ideal cross platform central logging solution.

<snip>
So my question again: does anyone here know the best way to implement
all of these (Integrity Checks, Servers Monitoring and remote
Logging) in a mixed environment (UNIX/Windows), everything
being open-source ?

        Sounds like you want a consultant.  =)  You have a pretty good idea
going on.  You might want to throw some network IDS in there too.

Best regards,

   Warner.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.