IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort rules to detect malformed http scanning

From: "Justin Heath" <justin.heath () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:25:01 -0500

Resending in plaintext.

On 10/30/06, Justin Heath <justin.heath () gmail com> wrote:
Because no web server deviate from the guidlines set by the RFC's. ;-)

Seriously, to answer the orignal question take a look at the documentation for http_inspect (README.http_inspect, snort
manual etc.). There are some options you can put to use such as non_strict, whitespace_chars, oversize_dir_length,
webroot, non_rfc_char, multi_slash etc.

You should be able to provide good coverage by tuning these options alone. Anything else can be handled by
pcre/uricontent rules.

Cheers,
Justin