IDS mailing list archives

New White Paper on Selecting an IPS

From: Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 11:15:02 -0700

I wrote an Opus One white paper on how to select a Network-based IPS which is now available:

http://www.juniper.net/solutions/literature/white_papers/select_ips.pdf

Juniper is hosting the white paper and did the layout & graphics, although there is no Juniper-specific content in the paper (and Juniper didn't have editorial control). It discusses signature-based IPS, rate-based IPS, and NBAD-ish IPS as options. Because most of the products out there are signature-based (and because of space constraints), I mostly concentrate on signature-based IPS.

The goal of the white paper is to lay out a methodology for deciding what kind of IPS (if any) is right for your network, and then giving a series of steps to go through to decide what type of IPS is the right one for your network.

Here's the first paragraph:

Executive Summary: Network Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS) can
be extremely effective pieces of your overall network security strategy.
However, the IPS marketplace is filled with products that all do very different
things and are suitable for very different environments. Therefore, buyers
beware, because simply throwing any IPS into the network without careful
consideration can be a costly error, both in terms of capital outlay and
operational provisions.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw to learn more.