IDS mailing list archives

Free tool for signature developers

From: "Gary Golomb" <gary () proventsure com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 05:59:29 -0800

I'll keep this post short. See the webpage for *lots* more detail. Please send questions/comments/etc to me off-list,
as this post [probably] has no reason to become a thread. I'm posting this link to a couple lists, so if you are
getting this twice, I apologize.

I'm posting an application based on computational biology algorithms and genetics research to help researchers looking
for similarities among distinct datasets/files/binaries (generally useful for signature development). The program
acquires common patterns from a number of different files, or inversely (for false positive testing) finds patterns
that do not exist among different files. It can handle many files at the same time, and is faster than other tools I've
worked with that only partially do the same.

For a primer on the algorithms and to download the program, see the page this is posted to at
http://www.proventsure.com. Follow the link in the middle/bottom of the page to "Research and Free Tools." The name of
the application is the Universal Pattern Searcher.

Hope it's as useful for you as it's been for us.

-Gary

-----------
Gary Golomb
Principal R&D Engineer

Proventsure, Inc.
443-536-5757
http://www.proventsure.com

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.