IDS mailing list archives

RE: syslogs for windows

From: Greg Poirier <grep () reflexsecurity com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 08:17:09 -0400

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 12:50 -0700, Bill Stout wrote:
I agree.  Winlogd on the servers, and syslogd on Linux/FreeBSD as the
central log repository.

http://www.edoceo.com/products/winlogd.php

Here's another option for a Windows syslog server (I haven't tried it):
http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog_ng/

Syslog-ng has been the most extensible and flexible syslogging daemon
I've ever used.  The code was easy to patch for my needs as well.  I
highly recommend it.

However, I wasn't aware that Balabit had released a Win32 version of it.
As far as I can tell, they haven't.  It's a great syslogd replacement,
though.  Were I do centralized logging, I would use it before syslogd on
the logging server in a heartbeat.

--
Greg Poirier    | Reflex Security, Inc.
Sigma Team      | Network Security.  Simplified.