IDS mailing list archives

RE: Skype & IPS vendor claims

From: "Dante Mercurio" <dmercurio () webcti com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 15:27:15 -0400

Cisco also seems to have Skype detection in their IOS IPS feature pack
(see sig. 11251-0):
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6634/products_white_paper0900aecd8
039e2e4.shtml

On another note, they also have the ability to adjust QoS for Skype
starting in 12.4(4)T:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/prod_release_note09186a00804a
19ae.html#wp1550969

I would assume if you can classify Skype traffic for QoS (which sure is
necessary for a useful VoIP protocol), then there is a method for
detecting it to block it via IPS.

M. Dante Mercurio, CISSP, CWNA, Security+, SCSP
Professional Services Manager
Continental Technologies, Inc.
"We Connect and Protect Your Network"

10540 York Road, Hunt Valley MD  20131
11 East Front Street, Shiremanstown PA  17011

dante () webcti com
1-800-606-6060
410-666-3307 (Fax)
www.webcti.com