IDS mailing list archives

Re: Skype & IPS vendor claims

From: Kevin <kkadow () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:03:05 -0500

On 5/16/06, Vladimir Parkhaev <vladimir () arobas net> wrote:
Greetings,

Many IPS vendors are claiming that their devices can block Skype.
Reading "An Analysis of the Skype Peer-to-Peer Internet Telephony Protocol"
(http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~library/TR-repository/reports/reports-2004/cucs-039-04.pdf),
paper I fail to see how those claims can be true.

Assuming your clients are behind a correctly configured firewall which
prevents them from exchanging arbitrary UDP packets with Internet
hosts, all you need to do is break the communication with the
supernode.  This will be TCP/80 or 443 traffic that isn't using
HTTP/HTTPS protocol, so it can be caught by anomaly detection.

Has anyone looked into blocking Skype?

Blocking Skype is possible:
    "SC Must establish a TCP session with a SN in order to connect to
the Skype network.  If it cannot connect to a super node, it will
report a login failure."

Having blocked it, I have users insisting it be opened back up.

I'm looking into *permitting* Skype without permitting other unknown
P2P applications, and not getting anywhere.  The decentralized nature
of the protocol prevents writing any sort of whitelist for Skype
traffic.

Kevin

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.