IDS mailing list archives

Re: exaProtect

From: Sebastien Tricaud <sebastien.tricaud () wengo fr>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 20:40:58 +0200

Hello Forest,

In our company we are using Prelude (http://www.prelude-ids.com), a
hybrid opensource IDS, and I must say I am happy with it.

As far as I remember,  the exaProtect solution was originaly based on
Prelude. Which doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

After comparing several IDS, I choose Prelude because I got very
astonished with its performances. Of course, I must admit that its free
download availability made the choice easier.

Of course, if you are looking for a hardware solution, Prelude won't be
interesting for you since it is software only.

Other important points I found interesting:
- being opensource, Prelude has unlimited compatibilities. I use it to
monitor alerts from my snorts, nagios, samhain and a custom sensor I
wrote for my company.
- behind the opensource project Prelude, there is the Prelude IDS Tech.
company providing technical support and add-ons. I had already request
edthem support and I got satisfaction.

The negative point is regarding events correlation system. However there
is a basic tool along with prewikka (the GUI frontend) that gather
automaticaly alerts according to source/destination I use a
still-in-development system called "SEC".

I hope that helps,

--- STR

forest.robert () gmail com wrote:
I work for an MSSP, and we are currently looking at expanding our Managed IDS offering. As part of this we are
looking for a product that will collect and aggregate events from a large number of heterogenous event sources (if
truly event generator agnostic, then even better) (both network and host sensors). In short, (some of) our
requirements are that it can collect events, standardise their format and allow us to apply filtering *after* event
collection (so it would necessarily have to support high volumes of data).

After collection, events need to be stored securely, and displayed to analysts in as good a way as possible (I am
sure we all have our preferences here - I am partial to Sguil/Sguil-like displays).

Now - to my question. We have looked at exaProtect, and it seems like a solid product which meets a majority of our
requirements. I was wondering if anyone on the list have any experiences / opinions on exaProtect that they would
like to share?

Thanks in advance.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.