IDS mailing list archives

Re: RE: RE: Which is the most widely deployed commercial IPS

From: thunking () hotmail com
Date: 30 Apr 2006 17:41:02 -0000

Even though I am new to this list, its still very obvious how there is a lot of misinformation spread by people that
claim to be in the know. Not sure where you got your information as it is completely wrong on both counts.

a) the consumer version has Network IPS, not Host IPS
b) at least as far as the Network Intrustion signature set is concerned, the consumer version is exactly the same as
the enterprise version.

Check out the security update information page for NIS/NAV at

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/Product/Product_NIS.html

and then the one for Symantec Client Security at

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/Product/Product_SCS.html

Do you see any resemblance ? I do.

Maybe you are referring to Symantec's Network Intrusion Prevention gateway appliance solution Symantec Network Security
which does have a much larger signature set, but even then shares the same engines with its other cousins. I am not
interested in gateway solutions as they have all sorts of issues.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.