IDS mailing list archives

Re: What are the best open source cisco pix log analyzers?

From: Mike Sweeney <mikesweeney () packetattack com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:45:19 -0700

On Jun 13, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Jeff Dell wrote:

Good luck, I'm afraid there basically aren't any.  There is
the Honeynet
Security Console and a Perl script called FISQ which is used to import
log data into the HSC database, but I didn't have much luck with it.
For example, the name of the table my firewall data was stored in was
longer than 16 characters, which violated an undocumented requirement
for HSC to be able read data from it. A cheap alternative is FireGen,
which runs about $200.  It produces pretty good reports, but isn't
customizable.

Thats a funny comment given that a very large search engine company does their own log file analysis using an inhouse tweaked open source application. And no, I'm not going to say who or what since it is not clear to me what exactly the NDA during the interview covered. So I have to disagree with the comment "there arent any". There some good ones IF you will put in the time and effort to dial it into your needs.

Firegen is so-so. I used it for about a year on PIX firewalls and while it worked most of the time, it was picky about how the server was set up. It does not like terminal servers much which caused some pain.

mikesweeney () packetattack com
www.packetattack.com
Home of "Network Security using Linux"

Test Your IDS