IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS Vendor - Customer Experiences

From: Sam <wintrmte () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:47:24 -0600

All,

We are starting an evaluation of four IPS vendors and I would like to
solicit your feedback.  Please, if you are a vendor of these products
do not bother emailing me, I will discard them.

If you have used one (or more) of the following vendors IPS products,
I would be interested in hearing your experiences.  Especially
experiences revolving around:

* Managability (policy configurations, etc.)
* Reliability (did it cause any network outages, etc.)
* Rule blocking ability (how effective are the signatures in
protecting your network?  Did the device require fine tuning /
excessive tweaking?)
* Reporting (how are the reports?)

If there's anything I have missed, please feel free to include it.

Here are the list of Vendors:

ISS
McAfee
Tipping Point