IDS mailing list archives

Re: Machine Learning for IDS: which dataset?

From: Brad Carmichael <kilokrates () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 16:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

Patrick,
There are a number of good sources for data. Some of
these are still
young and need some work, but I would point you in the
direction of:

http://wiki.ethereal.com/SampleCaptures
As the best public source currently. Also, there may
be some pcaps from defcon competitions if those are to
your liking.

Brad

trantichphuoc () yahoo com wrote: Hi there,
I am interested in applying machine learning
algorithms in detecting
network intrusions. I read many papers and realized
that the KDD-99 is
the most well-known dataset used in the field.
However, this dataset is
provided by MIT in 1999, and obviously, its pretty
old. As we all know,
the defensive technologies are fast, and also the
hacking techniques.
Clearly, the KDD-99 dataset would not provide the true
representation of
a network at the current time. So, could anyone plz
tell me which
dataset is more updated, specialized for machine
learning research in IDS?
Thanks
Patrick