IDS mailing list archives

RE: TCP ACK/RST packets with data in the Reset Cause

From: "Palmer, Paul (ISSAtlanta)" <PPalmer () iss net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:47:51 -0500

Mike,

Although I have not seen your exact scenario before, it is not unusual
for TCP RST packets to contain a "payload" describing the reason that
the connection was terminated. This payload is essentially just an out
of band comment and is not part of the data stream.

Based upon my experience analyzing IDS products, it is very likely that
the IDS is trying to analyze the TCP RST payload as if it were part of
the data transferred on the connection and is becoming confused. I
recommend that you contact your IDS vendor for a fix.

Paul