IDS mailing list archives

Re: Tuning false positives

From: Raffael Marty <rmarty () arcsight com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:56:31 -0800

On the subject of SIMs and vulnerability analysis scans...has anyone
actually found this feature to be useful?
1) I can't even imaging letting my SIM scan the network in such an adhoc
manner.  It doesn't help that none of the vendors seem to bother with
providing much in the way of documentation of the process.  I'm in a wacky
world where an outtage is almost never trivial;-) I've used Nessus enough
to know that it WILL eventually cause an outtage.

I think you misunderstand what a SIM does with respect to vulnerability
scans. SIMs import scans from vulnerability scanners that you have
deployed. For example from Nessus. I think I remember that there is one
product (not even sure if it is a SIM) that does ad-hoc scans for events
it gets. That's just not a good idea, introduces a lot of latency (so
doesn't scale) and has the problems you outline. Again. In general, SIMs
import vuln-scans, they don't scan themselves.

        -raffy

--

Raffael Marty, GCIA, CISSP                    raffael.marty () arcsight com
Senior Security Engineer                 Strategic Application Solutions

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.