IDS mailing list archives

Re: Testing IDS/IPS Solutions

From: Andres Riancho <andres.riancho () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:23:55 -0300

You could use tcpsic for testing how well the appliance handles fragmented packets, you could use nikto and nessus to see how many attacks each one detects and finally you could setup a lab with two PC's and try to exploit a know vuln with metasploit to see how well the appliance handles real attacks. There are also some tools that do a HTTP GET flood, that could be interesting to test also.

Jimmy Stewpot wrote:

Hello,

I am currently evaluating some UTM devices (fortinet, SonicWALL etc as per my previous posts). So far my testing has been fairly limited. I am currently looking to see if there are any tools around to test these types of devices, Currently my testing is all done through basic perl scripts however the information I get back from them is not really ideal, Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?