IDS mailing list archives

Re: challenges in capturing Gigabit ethernet

From: "Michael J. Semaniuk" <mike () semaniuk com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:10:11 -0500

This has always been a problem, but I've found that using an IDS load balancer does a lot to optimize packet inspection for promiscious devices.

http://www.toplayer.com/content/products/intrusion_detection/ids_balancer.jsp

-Mike

just to wrap some numbers around that, the worst case scenario for packets
per second on gigabit ethernet is around 3 million for a full-duplex link
(2,976,190 per second to be exact).
it is difficult to just get those packets to your application, much less
inspect all of them for attacks.

efficent algorithms are essential, you need to very quickly catagorize a
packet early on in the inspection so that you only do the necissary deep
analysis. (a over-simplified example would be that you catagorize by ports
so that you are not looking for IIS exploits in a SMTP session)

Mike