IDS mailing list archives

Re: Survey on IDS !

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:51:16 -0600

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 00:55 -0600, Hugo Francisco González Robledo
wrote:
We are researching about basics of IDS.
I hope you can have some time to help us answer the next survey:

1. In your opinion, which is the best IDS ?

The one I use.

2. Why it is the best IDS?

Because I'm most familiar with it and can make the most productive use
of it.

3. What's your opinion about SNORT ?

Snort rocks. (This is a personal opinion and does not reflect an
professional endorsement that should influence your decision about IDS
and Snort in particular. In other words, while I stated my opinion, it
really shouldn't matter to you as you should form your own opinion about
Snort and other IDS software)

4. Which is the future of IDS ?

Despite Gartners prediction that IDS is dead, it will be a necessity,
akin to burglar alarms and watch-dogs, to inform you when you have
security problems on your network. Badly designed/developed and/or
quickly released software, and an every increasing complexity in
software and client/server computing infrastructures, will ensure that
IDS consoles will flood their operators with alerts of real and
perceived threats for years to come.

Cheers,
Frank

--